What an exciting year at Don Bosco! Many tremendous and exciting accomplishments have been achieved, with the generous help of our donors and friends:
- Don Bosco received a brand new,
12-passenger Ford Transit Connect Van from the Ford Motor Company to transport our seniors.
- Don Bosco received a $90,000, 2-year grant to renovate our Senior Center kitchen and replace outdated equipment.
- Our ESL school was chosen by the State of Missouri to pilot a new assessment instrument. If the pilot is successful, this assessment will be used statewide in all ESL programs.
- Our new partnership with the Independence School District has been extremely successful, resulting in our ESL enrollment climbing from 180 students to 1,030 by year end in June.
- We launched a new program to address the lack of weekend food supplies for our seniors and disabled adults. We will begin phase 1 with food for 50 clients so they will not go hungry over the weekend.
- We provided 1,420 units of emergency assistance to of our seniors and disabled adults in crisis, which included utility assistance, food, clothing, Medicaid enrollment, durable medical supplies and other assistance.
- Many upgrades and improvements have been made to the Senior Center and ESL School, including new carpeting, ceiling tiles, bathroom fixtures and counters, windows, and tables and chairs.
- We served a hot, nutritious meal and daily activities to 160 seniors and disabled adults on-site at our Senior Center.
- Don Bosco sealed a new partnership with the YMCA to open a free Head Start program for our ESL students who are unable to attend classes due to lack of available affordable childcare. We will open the doors January, 2015 with 26 youngsters.